Saturday 2 October 2010

Two Bob

‘Two Bob’ – the latest term of endearment given to me by my hubby. The Oxford English dictionary might define it as originating from the Mandinka word – toubab, meaning white person. Isn’t he a sweetie or should I say sweaty! As well as work and preparing for the imminent arrival of the students my fellow volunteer, Rachel has had friend over from Oz so we took him around a few touristy areas. One eco-camp well within our budget called Tumani Tenda offered to teach us how to cook the local dish – Benechin. All prepared in one pot (see pics). I can just about remember what went in there even though the smoke was dulling my senses inside the sauna like hut.


                                                                   Working for my supper!
                                                                               The pot
The local restaurants in our busy little town are cheap and often more economical than cooking your own meal. They aren’t exactly in the Raymond Blanc league but our favourite has the choice of three dishes – omelette and chips, spaghetti with tomato sauce or beans with or without a smattering of goat meat. Omelette is usually off the menu so beans is often the best bet (just as well I’m living on my own). Our volunteers cookbook also gives us handy tips. I thought I’d pass on this info on how to kill and prepare a chicken should you ever need it (I don’t think I will).

‘Start by making a slit with a SHARP knife in the chicken‘s neck through the windpipe. This allows the chicken to die a somewhat quick and painless death. Remove the head. Next, dip the chicken in a pot of almost boiling water. This will allow you to pluck the chicken with the greatest of ease.’

I am now an expert in tie dyeing after having one lesson where I created a blue and green abstract patterned piece of cloth. I will be calling in at the local tailor to conjure up a shoulder bag, from which I’m sure the fashion houses of Paris will be clambering down to Gambia to steal my designs.

With no telly and very little electricity filling the evenings has been quite an effort, chatting with friends is one option, reading, a spot of yoga, sewing – yes I have made a peg bag and seat cover (Grandma Robinson would be proud of me), listening to the very posh man presenting the BBC’s world service between 8-9pm each night and of course there is also 'spot the insect’. A game that can be played alone or with friends. I have come to accept all the creepy crawlies that share my home. There’s no point sweeping them out or killing them otherwise word seems to get out and they march back in with a vengeance. The latest edition to the family is a 50p sized ‘thingy’ that looks rather prehistoric, runs sideways very quickly and has three inch long antennae. I usually give him/her a wide berth.

June’s tip for the week – NEVER walk into a room naked when someone is on the computer using Skype (Tom)!

Tranquility out on the river.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy Two Bob! Was going to make a comment about you being like Nik now (darkened room, playing with dongle) but thought better of it. Don't worry about the wee beasties, they'll probably be subdued by the bean gas wafting from your bunk. (Maybe that's why 'thingy' walks sideways, poor critter). Great to see you settling in well, love the pics too.
    PS I may be listed as Sheila, its not my spy-name, its my mothers name. Being a complete techno-twonk I have no idea why I have morphed into her.
    Take care,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete